I can’t believe it’s already been one year since the launch of my nonprofit The Mars Generation. This nonprofit was born from my outreach program that I launched when I was 15 years old as a way to share my own love of space and STEM with others. My online community grew to over 1/2 million people and I decided I wanted to create an organization that would encourage other students to do outreach work and help inspire people of all ages to be excited about STEM and space. But I didn’t do it on my own. I have had amazing support from astronauts, engineers and many other professionals, as well as students, that acted as both the board for The Mars Generation and as part of the community of support.
One year later and so much has happened. Sending students to Space Camp on full paid scholarships, growing our Student Space Leadership program and hosting amazing awareness events and more (scroll to the bottom of this post to learn more about what this amazing organization has done).
I want to invite you to join me and the entire TMG community. We will be celebrating through December in many different ways including our annual Potato Challenge, which will have a birthday twist, engaging our Student Space Ambassadors in a special celebration event and we have a special founding member birthday package.
TMG has created a special birthday founding membership swag package that will be available only through November 1, 2016. Founding members get a cool laminated membership card indicating they are founding members and all the bragging rights that go with being here from day 1 to help with the foundation of building a sustainable organization that is changing the world. The birthday package also includes:
- TMG t-shirt
- TMG magnet
- TMG patch
- TMG stickers
- Astronaut Abby autographed photo
This package will be delivered by the end of November. Besides buying yourself a membership you can also gift a membership to the space and science lovers in your life.
We have accomplished great things this first year in orbit. Here are some stats on what we have done:
- 2 Unique and fun, one of a kind annual online events have been launched with over 400 participants.
- 10 kids with limited financial resources went to Space Camp this past summer through TMG scholarships. Our scholarships provided camp tuition, transportation and a lot of learning and fun!
- Over 200 people have signed up in the past month as founding members to kick off our membership program.
- Over 500 people have donated to support our work.
- Over 600 students have joined and participated in our Student Space Ambassador Leadership program.
- TMG has Over 30,000 fans and followers, and over 600,000 when we include our founder Astronaut Abby
- Over 200,000 people have visited the TMG and Astronaut Abby websites
- Over 10 million people have been reached with our messages of why stem and human space exploration are essential to our future. This includes website, social media, PR and traditional media too.